Let’s say you’ve spent hours – days, possibly – laboring over your copy. Maybe it’s the landing page for your new course. Or the blog post that you’re sure is going to go viral. Whatever it is, you’ve put your heart and soul into it.
Finally, the big day arrives, you hit “publish” and…nothing happens. Silence. Not even crickets are chirping.
You don’t understand it. Your copy’s amazing. What went wrong?
Before you start all over, take a good, hard look at your headline.
The headline is the first thing people read. It’s what gets their attention. It determines whether someone reads your copy and then whether they decide to share what you’ve written.
David Ogilvy, who many consider the father of modern advertising, said:
On average, five times as many people read the headline as read the body copy. When you have written your headline, you have spent 80 cents of your (advertising) dollar.
Yes, headlines are THAT important. And yet, many people overlook them because they’re kind of a pain in the tuckus to write well.
Luckily, there are some simple hacks you can use to create a compelling headline. Yes, they’re formulaic but they’ve been proven to work time and again. Why reinvent the wheel if you don’t have to?
Why it works: We all love to be in on someone else’s secrets!
1. The secrets of ______________ that ______________ doesn’t want you to know.
2. The top secrets of the best _________________.
3. Secret ways to _________________.
4. The secret that your _________________ isn’t telling you.
5. The secret _________________ that only the pros know.
Why it works: Most of us hate making mistakes and want to avoid them.
6. Are you making these _________________mistakes?
7. The biggest mistakes you’re making with _________________.
8. Avoid these common mistakes when you _________________.
9. Don’t make this mistake when you _________________.
10. You’re probably making this _________________ mistake and don’t even know it.
Why it works: It’s human nature to want to avoid pain or discomfort.
11. Warning signs that you may be _________________.
12. What you must know to avoid _________________.
13. What you don’t know about _________________ can hurt you.
14. Finding a good _________________ isn’t as easy as you think.
15. If you’re going to _________________, read this first!
Why it works: Promises value in an easy-to-consume format.
16. 20 ways to _________________.
17. The top 10 best _________________.
18. 3 easy steps to _________________.
19. 100 reasons to _________________ today!
20. The 27 things you need to know about _________________.
Why it works: The enticement to learn something new is almost irresistible!
21. How to _________________ in 10 minutes a day.
22. A step-by-step guide to _________________.
23. How to be _________________ without even trying.
24. How to use _________________ to _________________.
25. Learn to _________________ so that you _________________.
After you’ve created your headline, run it through CoSchedule’s Headline Analyzer to test how strong it is and then tweak as necessary. Want to take it a step further? If possible, do an A/B split with your audience to see what resonates most strongly with them.
Your turn: Do you have a favorite headline hack? Tell me about it in the comments!
As always, if you found this article helpful, I’d appreciate it if you’d share the love via the buttons below. No obligation, of course!